Pages

Thursday, April 20, 2017

New job!

Unemployment is tough on every person who must unwillingly experience it.  However, I do feel it's a little tougher when you feel like you've done everything "the right way", yet you still can't find gainful employment.

Graduate high school.  Check! 
Serve in the military.  Check! 
Get a degree (in an actually employable field).  Check! 
Get a masters degree.  Check! 

Growing up, I was told that getting these things checked off would guarantee my employment for the rest of my life.   What I wasn't told was that depending on where I lived, none of it would really matter.  By that I (mostly) mean that I live in the middle of nowhere(ish).  I also have a young, school-age child.  And, up until a few days ago, all of my acceptable job options included a 45+ minutes commute each way. 

I know that plenty of people commute a long way every day. Yay for them.  But for me, rather than being able to enjoy being employed, I would be putting the majority of my paycheck into my gas tank and before/after care for my child; and the majority of my free time into driving.  As I stated before, tons of people do it all the time.  I choose not to.  And I have accepted the repercussions of that choice. 

So, given all that, no, I don't want to work a job that pays $12-$13/hour.  I also don't want to work a job with no dress code.  Believe me, neither do you.  And while I don't need (or really want) to be the boss, I certainly have enough skills and experience to not be on the bottom rung. 

I have, thankfully, found a job less than 10 minutes from my house.  The pay is acceptable; especially given the lack of commute.  I also have wonderful friends who are willing to help me get my kiddo to/from school if I need it.  The job is only for one year, and I'm okay with that.  Who knows, maybe I'll wow them, and they'll ask me to stay.

Peace and Love,
cas

No comments: